Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Let There Be Light

There have been a lot of things that have happened recently that have lead me to think about light, in all aspects of the word...natural light, light in the sense of how you feel and of course light as electricity! I don't know about you, but I am one who definitely believes in Seasonal affective disorder (google it...it's a real thing)! When those winter months roll around and the days become short and the nights become long, I miss those hours of sunshine. Think about how you feel on a beautiful sunny day vs. how you feel on a grey, cloud day? There is no doubt about it, sunshine makes you happy! So the next time you feel like your day isn't going exactly as planned or you are just having a blah kind of day, stop and take in some sun. The Vitamin D will do ya good!

Now as for light in terms of how we feel....and I'm not talking numbers on a scale here (in fact, I have never owned a scale in my life). What do you do or who do you surround yourself with that just makes you feel "light?" Yoga is it for me. No matter what the circumstances are on a given day, yoga is the place where I can leave everything behind and physically and mentally feel light again! The studio (Baker Street Yoga :)) is my place of peace, my place of calm and mostly my place of reflection. I walk out of there totally reminded of who I am and who I want to become. It's like magic! Although I have to say, I'm still working on my headstand feeling "light.":)

Finally, I know we have all thought a lot about light....electricity light...in the past couple of months. Sandy left many of us without power for weeks, but even worse, left many people without a home. In those days that followed quite a scary and unexpected storm, I obviously spent a lot of time at home with my family (we were trapped here for days).  During that time, I thought about how it is so easy to get wrapped up in your own bubble....what's happening in my house, on my street, in my town....when in reality, there were so many bigger things happening to others. Yes we lost power for 12 days, but we still had each other, our amazing home and thanks to me a generator that kept things running as long as we could find gas! So continuing with my theme from last week...remind yourself to be grateful for what you have...and to remember those who aren't as lucky or fortunate still months later.

Ending on a lighter note, I wanted to share my recent obsession with lamps. It wasn't until recently that I really understood the value of non overhead lighting. From a decorative point of view, they can add height, color or just that little extra something to a room. I recently purchased an amazing orange lamp for my new family room and two incredible lamps for my bedroom...love them all! I look forward to lounging on the couch at the end of the day, turning on my lamp (that gives just the right amount of light) and chilling....You should buy a lamp too and see how it changes the vibe of any room in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment