Tuesday, January 1, 2013

to new beginnings...


So it’s been months that I’ve been thinking about starting my blogging journey and what better time to take the plunge than the new year! While I can see the perspective of the cynics out there who laugh at resolutions as fleeting thoughts that enter your mind on January 1st and leave January 2nd, I also like to believe that January 1st is truly a clean slate for everyone... a time to reflect on the year past, the things we would like to change about ourselves, the moments we celebrated and cherished, or perhaps how we have grown as individuals. To me, January 1st symbolizes a “reset” button. It’s easy to think about or list the things we want to accomplish, but it’s quite another to take on the challenge of committing to these things twelve months of the year. On that note, I'd like to reflect on 2012 before thinking about 2013. Having just experienced the holiday season, and of course the tragedy in Newtown, CT, gratitude comes to mind.

I was walking through Maplewood Village just before Thanksgiving and noticed graffiti on a lot of the store front windows...friendly and organized graffiti of course! Many of the store owners agreed to be part of a project where people were invited to use washable marker to write on their storefront windows what they are thankful for. This warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face. I was immediately drawn to reading what everyone wrote. My own wheels started spinning of course and I began to think about what I was thankful for. If forced to write just one thing down, what would I say in that moment in time? The first thing that popped into my head was, “I am so grateful for Greg.” My husband has been such an incredible support in what has been not such an easy time in our lives. I am constantly telling my friends that I don’t know where I would be without him. The next thing that came to mind was that perhaps I should tell him this more often. But sometimes life gets hectic, there isn’t enough time in the day and before you know it you have forgotten to do the one thing that is more important than the millions of other things you have done that day. 

So...Greg, I am so grateful for you. Thanks for being you and for sharing your life with me. Our journey continues....

I’m beginning 2013 by checking one thing off my list....creating my blog “Everything on Everything.” The inspiration for the name of my blog comes from a fun night spent with best friends, pretzels and ice cream but translates a little differently to you in the cyber universe. Everything on Everything will be exactly that, my thoughts on varying subjects that have been a part of my life experiences as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, teacher, yogi and just straight up human being. These experiences have brought me to a point in my life where I think intensely about my purpose on this earth and the journey that lies ahead.
Here in my first entry of Everything on Everything I am gonna take a moment to list my hopes and dreams for 2013!
  • Start juicing for my kids (and me!)
  • Go to yoga 2-3 times a week
  • Read Journey to the Heart daily
  • Worry less and breathe more
  • Be present in moments with my kids and leave technology behind
  • Remember quality over quantity
  • Decorate. Organize. Decorate some more
  • Take Zoe on longer walks
  • Remind myself how lucky I am and tell those I love (Greg) that they are the reason why
  • Surround myself with people that remind me who I want to be
  • Learn to cook at least 3 good meals
  • Cherish bedtime books with my kids

2 comments:

  1. I loved this:) its so good to hear you 'talk', i miss you. And your list is so strangely similar to my own- we are clearly still on the same page after all these years. I'm so happy that things are going so well. Xxoo shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading your journey! And hopefully our journeys intersect more in 2013!
    xoxo donna

    ReplyDelete