Thursday, February 14, 2013

"What Do You Love About Music?"


In the words of Russell Hammond, "To begin with, Everything!" (An all time favorite go to movie for me)

Music has this incredible ability to transport you to another time and place....to make you feel emotions that maybe you didn't even know were at the surface for you...to make you dance and move...to teach...to add amazing energy to our world. I love when I hear a song and it brings me back to a memory that I might have forgotten for a long time. Edie Brikell and Blues Traveler bring me back to my high school days, hanging with my girls.  Hearing Alicia Keyes "No One" I see my 2 year old Emma singing it in her carseat driving down the West Side Highway. Motown always makes me think of my dad. And being someone who doesn't have the best memory, I do find that songs are one way that I recollect times past. I love how music brings people together that probably on any given day are very different, but in that moment of experiencing a musicians' talents, the audience all shares that common bond. Music makes you feel...makes you think...makes you move.

I watched the Grammy Awards on Sunday night and thought it was a pretty good show overall. The highlights for me were...
  • John Mayer. Those of you who know me well know that I "heart" JM (really bad jacket/bow tie and all). But I gotta say, I don't get him and Katy Perry at all
  • Taylor Swift looked amazing and I loved her energy for all the other artists performing. There is something cool about seeing a musician really enjoying other musicians music.
  • Mumford & Sons were awesome....love them
  • Tribute to Levon Helm..."The Weight" was very cool
  • Adele is just awesome and so sweet
  • Loved seeing The Lumineers perform Ho Hey

I have to give props to my brother Matt, to Greg, and my brother-in-law Danny for expanding my music world. They have introduced me to songs and artists that I never would have explored on my own. I'd like to give a huge shout out to Twiddle, a Vermont based band, that I have only been lucky enough to know and listen to because of my brother. One of Matt's closest and best friends, Mickey, is the lead vocalist/guitar player for the band. An incredibly talented songwriter and an obvious passion for music, Mickey has given me such an incredible gift of remembering my brother in such a special and heartwarming way.  Not only has he written songs about Matt, but they are so spot on and sung with such amazing energy, that I can only smile when I listen to them. This is when I feel happy and connected to my brother. So Mickey, if you happen to read this, thank you. I love belting out Hattibagen McRat at the top of my lungs while driving in my car.

For those of you who might want a new artist or song in your musical repertoire this is my most recent playlist:
  • I Will Wait- Mumford & Sons
  • Ho Hey- The Lumineers
  • It's Time- Imagine Dragons
  • You Ain't Alone- Alabama Shakes
  • 6 Weeks- James Morrison
  • Gravity- John Mayer
  • One Voice Together- Martin Sexton
  • You Are The Best Thing- Ray LaMontagne
  • When it Rains it Poors- Twiddle
  • Right as Rain- Adele
  • Some Roads Lead Home- Bela Fleck
  • I Shall Be Released- Bob Dylan
  • The Weight- The Band
  • Tennessee Jed- Grateful Dead
  • Daydream Farmer- Twiddle
  • Flowers in Your Hair- The Lumineers
  • Wishlist- Pearl Jam
  • When I Was Your Man- Bruno Mars
And for those of you feeling the love today...Happy Valentine's Day! As JM says it, "Love is a Verb":)

Feel free to "commet" and tell me your favorite tunes these days....




No comments:

Post a Comment